Run report – Run 4 – 4 Oct 17
Complete the braking bedding in process for the front right brake. To increase the energy going into the brakes, use Run Profile 3 (75NL, 75 mph).
1750L. Weather 12 C, 1009 mb, wind 10 o’clock 19 kts. Strong wind warning in force. Nil response to crosswind on earlier runs, so decision was taken to run and monitor the wind.
Delta taxiway, approx. 4000 ft available from D2 to D4.
Fuel 48 to 36, run duration 5:00.
- 75NL to 80 mph, firm braking to stop, brake temps coming up but front right still lagging
- 2 accels to 50-60 mph at 75NL, firm braking again at 50-60 bar, peak brake temps around 350C+, apart from front right down at 200C. Power against brakes to complete the run, front right still much cooler
- Cooling pump CB popped during run
- AC Gen tripped off at the end of the run
- Crosswind for this run was higher than the others, at ~17kt. Car showed no response to increased crosswind
Car continues to handle really well, but front right brake still not working with the others. Car was rock solid in a 17kt crosswind with gusts.
Perhaps more importantly, the team performance throughout the first day’s runs was superb. Slick and professional engineering, calm and competent comms despite some very poor radio reception, it was a genuinely impressive start.
- Team consensus that we can comfortably expand the crosswind limit to 20kt, for the Car without fin
- Team procedures are already good and still improving
- Comms with Tower as before
- Cooling pump and AC Gen as before (post-run note: cooling pump voltage has now been dropped and appears to have resolved the CB tripping. This might also address the AC Gen problem, which appears to be linked)
- Front right brake as before (post-run note: brakes bled, air removed from the front, this is expected to resolve the problem)
- Distance indicator on centre display is not working. This is becoming more important as speeds increase (post-run note: code updated).
Run report – Run 5 – 6 Oct 17
Complete the braking bedding in process for the front right brake, following a full brake bleed.
Weather 15C, 1015 mb. Lovely day, broken clouds.
Delta taxiway, approx. 4000 ft available, with overruns if required.
- 1000 hrs. Wind 7 o/c, 5 kt. D4 to D2
- Fuel 62 to 50%, engine run time 5:30
- Profile 1, up to 50 mph using 60NL. At 50 mph, slowly increase brake pressure up to ~50 bar and hold speed with power against brakes
- Brake temperatures much as previous, front right lagging
Front right brake still reluctant to heat up. Tyre wear confirms front right is not doing much work yet. Glazed brake disc?
- Comms with Tower appear to be better, thanks to Servicomm assistance, but still not 2-way with the Car at D2. Car’s radio settings have been changed for the next runs.